The motivation was to make it easy for someone to get up and running
quickly with the project. Clone the git repo, run the maven build, and then
you are all set. It definitely does lower the learning curve for someone
just getting started with a project and who is not really thinking about
Cassandra. It also is convenient for non-devs who need to quickly get the
project up and running. For development, we have people working on Linux,
Mac OS X, and Windows. I am not a Windows user and not even sure if ccm
works on Windows, so ccm can't be the de factor standard for development.

--

- John