Hi Paul,

I guess this might come from the incremental repairs...
The repair time is stored in the sstable (RepairedAt timestamp metadata).

Cheers,
Reynald

On 31/05/2016 11:03, Paul Dunkler wrote:
Hi there,

i am sometimes running in very strange errors while backing up snapshots from a cassandra cluster.

Cassandra version:
2.1.11

What i basically do:
1. nodetool snapshot
2. tar all snapshot folders into one file
3. transfer them to another server

What happens is that tar just sometimes give the error message "file changed as we read it" while its adding a .db-file from the folder of the previously created snapshot. If i understand everything correct, this SHOULD never happen. Snapshots should be totally immutable, right?

Am i maybe hitting a bug or is there some rare case with running repair operations or what-so-ever which can change snapshotted data? I already searched through cassandra jira but couldn't find a bug which looks related to this behaviour.

Would love to get some help on this.

—
Paul Dunkler