DSE 4.8 uses C* 2.1 and DSE 5.0 uses C* 3.0. So I would say that 2.1->3.0 is
more tested by DataStax than 2.2->3.0.

    Le Jeudi 14 juillet 2016 11h37, Stefano Ortolani <ostef...@gmail.com> a
écrit :

 FWIW, I've recently upgraded from 2.1 to 3.0 without issues of any sort, but
admittedly I haven't been using anything too fancy.
Cheers,Stefano
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Anuj
>From
>https://docs.datastax.com/en/latest-upgrade/upgrade/cassandra/upgrdBestPractCassandra.html:

   - Employ a continual upgrade strategy for each year. Upgrades are impacted
by the version you are upgrading from and the version you are upgrading to. The
greater the gap between the current version and the target version, the more
complex the upgrade.

And I could not find it but historically I am quite sure it was explicitly
recommended not to skip a major update (for a rolling upgrade), even if I could
not find it. Anyway it is clear that the bigger the gap is, the more careful we
need to be.
On the other hand, I see 2.2 as a 2.1 + some feature but no real breaking
changes (as 3.0 was already on the pipe) and doing a 2.2 was decided because
3.0 was taking a long time to be released and some feature were ready for a
while.
I might be wrong on some stuff above, but one can only speak with his knowledge
and from his point of view. So I ended up saying:

Also I am not sure if the 2.2 major version is something you can skip while
upgrading through a rolling restart. I believe you can, but it is not what is
recommended.

Note that "I am not sure", "I believe you can"... So it was more a thought,
something to explore for Varun :-).

And I actually encouraged him to move forward. Now that Tyler Hobbs confirmed
it works, you can put a lot more trust on the fact that this upgrade will work
:-). I would still encourage people to test it (for client compatibility,
corner cases due to models, ...).
I hope I am more clear now,
C*heers,-----------------------Alain Rodriguez - alain@thelastpickle.comFrance
The Last Pickle - Apache Cassandra Consultinghttp://www.thelastpickle.com