There are a couple of things that could be happening here:
- There will be time differences between when nodes participating repair
flush, so in write-heavy tables there will always be minor differences
during validation, and those could be accentuated by low resolution merkle
trees, which will affect mostly larger tables.
- SSTables compacted during incremental repair will not be marked as
repaired, so nodes with different compaction cadences will have different
data in their unrepaired set, what will cause mismatches in the subsequent
incremental repairs. CASSANDRA-9143 will hopefully fix that limitation.