>Page cache is data pending flush to disk and data cached from disk.

Do you mean file cache?

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,
Winguzone - Hosted Cloud Cassandra on Azure and SoftLayer.
Launch your cluster in minutes.

---- On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 13:40:19 -0400 Ariel Weisberg
<ar...@weisberg.ws> wrote ----

Hi,

 Page cache is in use even if you disable swap. Swap is anonymous memory, and
whatever else the Linux kernel supports paging out. Page cache is data pending
flush to disk and data cached from disk.

 Given how bad the GC pauses are in C* I think it's not the high pole in the
tent. Until key things are off heap and C* can run with CMS and get 10
millisecond GCs all day long.

 You can go through tuning and hardware selection try to get more consistent IO
pauses and remove outliers as you mention and as a user I think this is your
best bet. Generally it's either bad device or filesystem behavior if you get
page faults taking more than 200 milliseconds O(G1 gc collection).

 I think a JVM change to allow safe points around memory mapped file access is
really unlikely although I agree it would be great. I think the best hack
around it is to code up your memory mapped file access into JNI methods and
find some way to get that to work. Right now if you want to create a safe point
a JNI method is the way to do it. The problem is that JNI methods and POJOs
don't get along well.

 If you think about it the reason non-memory mapped IO works well is that it's
all JNI methods so they don't impact time to safe point. I think there is a
tradeoff between tolerance for outliers and performance.

 I don't know the state of the non-memory mapped path and how reliable that is.
If it were reliable and I couldn't tolerate the outliers I would use that. I
have to ask though, why are you not able to tolerate the outliers? If you are
reading and writing at quorum how is this impacting you?

 Regards,

 Ariel

 On Sat, Oct 8, 2016, at 12:54 AM, Vladimir Yudovin wrote:

 Hi Josh,

 >Running with increased heap size would reduce GC frequency, at the cost of
page cache.

 Actually it's recommended to run C* without virtual memory enabled. So if
there is no enough memory JVM fails instead of blocking

 Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

 Winguzone - Hosted Cloud Cassandra on Azure and SoftLayer.
Launch your cluster in minutes.

 ---- On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 21:06:24 -0400 Josh Snyder<j...@code406.com>
wrote ----

 Hello cassandra-users,

 I'm investigating an issue with JVMs taking a while to reach a safepoint. I'd

 like the list's input on confirming my hypothesis and finding mitigations.

 My hypothesis is that slow block devices are causing Cassandra's JVM to pause

 completely while attempting to reach a safepoint.

 Background:

 Hotspot occasionally performs maintenance tasks that necessitate stopping all

 of its threads. Threads running JITed code occasionally read from a given

 safepoint page. If Hotspot has initiated a safepoint, reading from that page

 essentially catapults the thread into purgatory until the safepoint completes

 (the mechanism behind this is pretty cool). Threads performing syscalls or

 executing native code do this check upon their return into the JVM.

 In this way, during the safepoint Hotspot can be sure that all of its threads

 are either patiently waiting for safepoint completion or in a system call.

 Cassandra makes heavy use of mmapped reads in normal operation. When doing

 mmapped reads, the JVM executes userspace code to effect a read from a file.
On

 the fast path (when the page needed is already mapped into the process), this

 instruction is very fast. When the page is not cached, the CPU triggers a page

 fault and asks the OS to go fetch the page. The JVM doesn't even realize that

 anything interesting is happening: to it, the thread is just executing a mov

 instruction that happens to take a while.

 The OS, meanwhile, puts the thread in question in the D state (assuming Linux,

 here) and goes off to find the desired page. This may take microseconds, this

 may take milliseconds, or it may take seconds (or longer). When I/O occurs

 while the JVM is trying to enter a safepoint, every thread has to wait for the

 laggard I/O to complete.

 If you log safepoints with the right options [1], you can see these
occurrences

 in the JVM output:

 > # SafepointSynchronize::begin: Timeout detected:

 > # SafepointSynchronize::begin: Timed out while spinning to reach a
safepoint.

 > # SafepointSynchronize::begin: Threads which did not reach the safepoint:

 > # "SharedPool-Worker-5" #468 daemon prio=5 os_prio=0
tid=0x00007f8785bb1f30 nid=0x4e14 runnable [0x0000000000000000]

 > java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE

 > # SafepointSynchronize::begin: (End of list)

 > vmop [threads: total initially_running wait_to_block] [time: spin block
sync cleanup vmop] page_trap_count

 > 58099.941: G1IncCollectionPause [ 447 1 1 ] [ 3304 0 3305 1 190 ] 1

 If that safepoint happens to be a garbage collection (which this one was), you

 can also see it in GC logs:

 > 2016-10-07T13:19:50.029+0000: 58103.440: Total time for which application
threads were stopped: 3.4971808 seconds, Stopping threads took: 3.3050644
seconds

 In this way, JVM safepoints become a powerful weapon for transmuting a single

 thread's slow I/O into the entire JVM's lockup.

 Does all of the above sound correct?

 Mitigations:

 1) don't tolerate block devices that are slow

 This is easy in theory, and only somewhat difficult in practice. Tools like

 perf and iosnoop [2] can do pretty good jobs of letting you know when a block

 device is slow.

 It is sad, though, because this makes running Cassandra on mixed hardware
(e.g.

 fast SSD and slow disks in a JBOD) quite unappetizing.

 2) have fewer safepoints

 Two of the biggest sources of safepoints are garbage collection and revocation

 of biased locks. Evidence points toward biased locking being unhelpful for

 Cassandra's purposes, so turning it off (-XX:-UseBiasedLocking) is a quick way

 to eliminate one source of safepoints.

 Garbage collection, on the other hand, is unavoidable. Running with increased

 heap size would reduce GC frequency, at the cost of page cache. But
sacrificing

 page cache would increase page fault frequency, which is another thing we're

 trying to avoid! I don't view this as a serious option.

 3) use a different IO strategy

 Looking at the Cassandra source code, there appears to be an un(der)documented

 configuration parameter called disk_access_mode. It appears that changing this

 to 'standard' would switch to using pread() and pwrite() for I/O, instead of

 mmap. I imagine there would be a throughput penalty here for the case when

 pages are in the disk cache.

 Is this a serious option? It seems far too underdocumented to be thought of as

 a contender.

 4) modify the JVM

 This is a longer term option. For the purposes of safepoints, perhaps the JVM

 could treat reads from an mmapped file in the same way it treats threads that

 are running JNI code. That is, the safepoint will proceed even though the

 reading thread has not "joined in". Upon finishing its mmapped read, the

 reading thread would test the safepoint page (check whether a safepoint is in

 progress, in other words).

 Conclusion:

 I don't imagine there's an easy solution here. I plan to go ahead with

 mitigation #1: "don't tolerate block devices that are slow", but I'd
appreciate

 any approach that doesn't require my hardware to be flawless all the time.

 Josh

 [1] -XX:+SafepointTimeout -XX:SafepointTimeoutDelay=100

 -XX:+PrintSafepointStatistics -XX:PrintSafepointStatisticsCount=1

 [2] https://github.com/brendangregg/perf-tools/blob/master/iosnoop