Hi Jens,

When you refer to restoring a snapshot for a developer to look at, do you
mean restoring the cluster to that state, or just exposing that state for
reference while keeping the (corrupt) current state in the live cluster?

You may find these useful:
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/operations/ops_backup_snapshot_restore_t.html
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/operations/ops_snapshot_restore_new_cluster.html

Additionally, AFAIK the snapshot files are just SSTables, so any utility
that can examine them (for example, sstable2json) should work on those
files as well.