I haven't had the chance to test Pithos but from an architectural view it
MUST be slower than a haystack-like architecture (
https://code.facebook.com/posts/685565858139515/needle-in-a-haystack-efficient-storage-of-billions-of-photos/).
This is why we decided to move to SeaweedFS (
https://github.com/chrislusf/seaweedfs). It still has a central component
(master server) but it is so slim and well designed that you really need to
hit a Facebook-like scale to push it to the limits. Haystack is purely
designed for simplicity + speed.
If you need more functionality, like authentication, permission management,
multi-tenancy, whatever, it probably will not be the architecture of your
choice. Actually there are really a lot of solutions for a Blob-Store. Some
use Cassandra, many of them have different approaches, every one with its
own pros and cons for certain use cases.

--
Benjamin Roth
Prokurist

Jaumo GmbH · www.jaumo.com
Wehrstraße 46 · 73035 Göppingen · Germany
Phone +49 7161 304880-6 · Fax +49 7161 304880-1
AG Ulm · HRB 731058 · Managing Director: Jens Kammerer