It wasn't meant in a snarky way, it was as (too short) explanation. I try
to sum it up:

Materialized View:
The data that is represented by the view is stored persistently and updated
as soon as the underlying base data changes.
On RDBMS: Pro: Fast reads, Con: Slow(er) updates
On CS: Used to do filtering or sorting of the base table. Much slower write
path.

"Regular" View:
The base data is queried on demand. More or less a rewrite or alias of
another query.
On RDBMS: Pro: No updates required, Con: Probably slow reads, depending on
On CS: Does not exist.

The term "materialized view" has been established by well known RDBMS like
oracle and behaves very similar in CS. In most RDBMS a view can have many
base tables. In CS an MV can have only one base table and has many more
restrictions compared to RDBMS.

--
Benjamin Roth
Prokurist

Jaumo GmbH · www.jaumo.com
Wehrstraße 46 · 73035 Göppingen · Germany
Phone +49 7161 304880-6 · Fax +49 7161 304880-1
AG Ulm · HRB 731058 · Managing Director: Jens Kammerer