I am running DSE 4.8.7 / Cassandra 2.1.14.
When I attempt to run nodetool cleanup on any node / any environment we are
managing, I get the following output:

Aborted cleaning up atleast one column family in keyspace <mykeyspace1>,
check server logs for more information.
    error: nodetool failed, check server logs
    -- StackTrace --
    java.lang.RuntimeException: nodetool failed, check server logs
        at
org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeTool$NodeToolCmd.run(NodeTool.java:294)
        at org.apache.cassandra.tools.NodeTool.main(NodeTool.java:206)

The server logs do not have any error or warn message, however I see the
following log line:
2017-02-10 14:06:49,931 INFO  [RMI TCP Connection(34)-127.0.0.1]
 CompactionManager.java:415 - Cleanup cannot run before a node has joined
the ring

That is then followed by a line like this, for every single one of our
keyspaces and tables:
2017-02-10 14:06:49,969 INFO  [RMI TCP Connection(34)-127.0.0.1]
 CompactionManager.java:294 - No sstables for <keyspace>.<table>

I find the message above a bit suspicious. Of course I do not have any node
in the process of joining the ring. It looks like nodetool is having
trouble connecting to the Cassandra instance? Is it trying to connect to
localhost? We have Cassandra listening on a private IP, not on localhost.
All other nodetool commands are running fine though. Any suggestion with
what could be the issue here?

Thanks,
Simone Franzini, PhD

http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonefranzini