Further info - tablehistograms reports zeros for all percentiles for Read
Latency; tablestats also reports really low numbers for Bloom filter usage
(3-4 KiB, depending on node, whereas I'd expect orders of magnitude more
given other - less accessed - tables in this keyspace).  This is the most
written-to and read-from table in the keyspace, seems to keep up with
tracking of writes, but not reads.

Full repair on this table is the only thing I can think of; but that's a
guess and doesn't get me any closer to understanding what has happened.