Generally shouldn't happen in most modern versions of cassandra. Could be
simultaneous conflicting statements (two "CREATE TABLE" statements at the
same time, which can happen with programatic schema changes), or unhealthy
schema tables (lots and lots of changes create tombstones in the schema
tables, which can cause reading/calculating schema versions to be
inefficient).

In the future, you can work around this with 'nodetool resetlocalschema'