Hi Anthony –
  The link you shared below is where we initially started. That build fails
(there is an issue with byteman as indicated by this Jira:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-13316). The source tarball
already exists (released version), so we decided to skip rebuilding the
artifacts and just pulled the release tarball from:
http://apache.mirrors.tds.net/cassandra/3.10/apache-cassandra-3.10-src.tar.gz
and created an rpm build with that. We did use the orginal spec and made a few
minor tweaks to it. Basically, the tweaks were:

-          Apply the patches when doing the build (one was for byteman, the
other was a change to the Cassandra unit file to make it unkillable by
oom-killer).

-          Post install/erase actions (systemctl commands – such as reloading
the daemon, autostarting the service etc).

That’s pretty much it, everything else should be the same as the original spec.
Attaching it for convenience. Since, we’re trying to qualify this for
Production, 3.11 isn’t officially released, yet is it – it’s why we’re planning
on using 3.10. The concern stems from the build failing with byteman. We’re
novices at building our own rpms for Cassandra and are concerned that there may
be other issues with the 3.10 release and maybe we should hold off till 3.11 is
released and ready. Any opinions/feedback will help.

Regards,
Dhruva