On 2017-05-27 18:04 (-0700), Surbhi Gupta <surbhi.gupt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for all of your reply.
> Our requirement is :
> Our company releases AMI almost every month where they have some or the
> other security packages.
> So as per our security team we need to move our cassandra cluster to the
> new AMI .
> As this process happens every month, we would like to automate the process .
> Few points to consider here:
>
> 1. We are using ephemeral drives to store cassandra data
> 2. We are on dse 4.8.x
>
> So currently to do the process, we pinup a new nodes with new DC name and
> join that DC, alter the keyspace, do rebuild  and later alter the keyspace
> again to remove the old DC .
>
> But all of this process is manually done as of now.
>
> So i wanted to understand , on AWS, how do you do above kind of task
> automatically ?

At a previous employer, they used M4 class instances with data on a dedicated
EBS volumes, so we could swap AMIs / stop / start / adjust instances without
having to deal with this. This worked reasonably well for their scale (which
was petabytes of data).

Other companies using ephemeral tend to be more willing to just terminate
instances and replace them (-Dcassandra.replace_address). If you stop
cassandra, then boot a replacement with 'replace_address' set, it'll take over
for the stopped instance, including re-streaming all data (as best it can,
subject to consistency level and repair status). This may be easier for you to
script than switching your fleet to EBS, but it's not without risk.