Nitan,

Yes, that is what I've done. I snapshotted the volume after step 3 and will
create a new volume from that snapshot and attach it to the new instance.
Curious if I am indeed replacing a node completely, is there any logical
difference between snapshot->create->attach vs detach from old->attach to
new besides a margin of safety?

Thanks for your reply!