This is achieved through a combination of replication factor (RF) and
consistency level (CL):

Replication factor is tied to your schema (more specifically, it is
configured at the keyspace level) and specifies how many copies of each
piece of data is kept.

Consistency level is associated (either explicitly or implicitly) with
queries (both reads and writes). It determines the number of replicas a
query should check (or wait for) when you execute a query on a given piece
of data.

In the simplest terms, a low consistency level will give you better
availability at the cost of potential data inconsistency, as fewer replicas
need to be online and available in order to satisfy the query, but if those
replicas are offline they may not receive the write, or may have a
different value that is not read.
Conversely, a high consistency level will give you better consistency at
the cost of potentially reduced availability.

There is much more in-depth description of this in the docs, I suggest you
read it:
http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/architecture/dynamo.html?highlight=quorum#tunable-consistency

Cheers,
Justin

--

*Justin Cameron*Senior Software Engineer

<https://www.instaclustr.com/>

This email has been sent on behalf of Instaclustr Pty. Limited (Australia)
and Instaclustr Inc (USA).

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy
or disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and
highlight the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.