Mutations get dropped because a node can't keep up with writes. If you
understand the Cassandra write path, writes are ACKed when the mutation is
appended to the commitlog which is why it's very fast.

Knowing that, dropped mutations mean that the disk is not able to keep up
with the IO. Another word for it is "overloaded".

So what do you do? Use fast SSDs (HDDs and EBS won't do) and size your
cluster correctly to deal with the peak load, i.e. add more nodes. Cheers!