Thanks for the responses Lerh and Kurt!

Lerh - We had been considering those particular nodetool commands but were
hesitant to perform them on a production node without either testing
adequately in a dev environment or getting some feedback from someone who
knew what they were doing (such as yourself), so thank you for that! Your
point about the blacklist makes complete sense. So I think we'll probably
end up running those after the node finishes streaming and we confirm that
the blacklist is not improving latency. Just out of curiosity, do you have
any experience with sstableofflinerelevel? Is this something that would be
helpful to run with any kind of regularity?

Kurt - We're on 3.7, and our approach was to try thorttling compaction
throughput as much as possible rather than the opposite. I had found some
resources that suggested unthrottling to let it get it over with, but
wasn't sure if this would really help in our situation since the I/O pipe
was already fully saturated.

Best,
Paul