Cassandra was designed for spinning disks -

commitlogs are (mostly) append-only, linear writes.
sstables are written exactly once, again with linear writes.
The index for finding the positions in sstables to start reads is cached in
RAM (and when it's not cached, it's a linear read through a file).
Most reads for sstables are linear seeks.
Cassandra tries to optimize for fewest possible sstable reads (using things
like bloom filters and compaction strategies that optimize for fewer files
touched per read - STCS row lifting, and LCS in general).
Some day we may have b/b+ tree indices, which will not be linear reads, but
right now everything is linear.

All of that said: SSDs ARE faster, and you're not always CPU bound. You'll
get better latencies when you do have to go to disk if you're using SSDs,
but you can CERTAINLY make spinning disks work.