Hello,

@kurt greaves: Have you tried CMS with that sized heap?

Yes, for testing for testing purposes, I have 3 nodes with CMS and 3 with
G1. The behavior is basically the same.

*Using CMS suggested settings*
http://gceasy.io/my-gc-report.jsp?p=c2hhcmVkLzIwMTcvMTAvOC8tLWdjLmxvZy4wLmN1cnJlbnQtLTE5LTAtNDk=

*Using G1 suggested settings*
http://gceasy.io/my-gc-report.jsp?p=c2hhcmVkLzIwMTcvMTAvOC8tLWdjLmxvZy4wLmN1cnJlbnQtLTE5LTExLTE3

@Steinmaurer, Thomas If this happens in a very short very frequently and
> depending on your allocation rate in MB/s, a combination of the G1 bug and
> a small heap, might result going towards OOM.

We have a really high obj allocation rate:

Avg creation rate  622.9 mb/sec
Avg promotion rate  18.39 mb/sec

It could be the cause, where the GC can't keep up with this rate.

I'm stating to think it could be some wrong configuration where Cassandra is
configured in a way that bursts allocations in a manner that G1 can't keep
up with.

Any ideas?

Best regards,