Jens,

Al Tobey's Cassandra 2.1 tuning guide has excellents infos about running
Cassandra. Apparently he uses Arch Linux and we've been using Slackware
Linux in a 12 node cluster (2 DCs 6/6) for the last 3 years with no
problems.

https://tobert.github.io/pages/als-cassandra-21-tuning-guide.html

You just need a modern Linux distro scrapped from any services that could
compromise I/O and CPUs performance and memory (hence, we choose Slackware).

Regards,

Jero