@Hannu this was based on the assumption that if we receive a read for a key
that is sampled, it'll be treated as cached and won't go to the index on
disk. Part of my question was whether that's the case, I'm not sure.

Btw I ended up giving up on this, trying the key cache route already showed
that it would require more memory than we have available. And even then,
the performance started to tank; we saw irqbalance and other processes peg
the CPU even with not too much load, so there was some numa-related problem
there that I don't have time to look into.

--
Dan Kinder
Principal Software Engineer