A very interesting and detailed article, thank you DuyHai. I think this should
be part of general Cassandra documentation.

--
Jacques-Henri Berthemet

From: DuyHai Doan [mailto:doanduy...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:04 PM
To: user <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Secondary Indexes C* 3.0

Read this:
http://www.doanduyhai.com/blog/?p=13191<http://www.doanduyhai.com/blog/?p=13191>

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 6:44 PM, Akash Gangil
<akashg1...@gmail.com<mailto:akashg1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
To provide more context, I was going through this
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cql/3.3/cql/cql_using/useWhenIndex.html#useWhenIndex__highCardCol<https://docs.datastax.com/en/cql/3.3/cql/cql_using/useWhenIndex.html#useWhenIndex__highCardCol>

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Akash Gangil
<akashg1...@gmail.com<mailto:akashg1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering if there are recommendations around the cardinality of
secondary indexes.

As I understand an index on a column with many distinct values will be
inefficient. Is it because the index would only direct me to the specfic
sstable, but then it sequentially searches for the target records? So a wide
range of the index could lead to a lot of ssltable options to traverse?
Though what's unclear is what the recommended (or benchmarked?) limit, is it
the index must have 100 distinct values, or can it have upto 1000 or 50000
distinct values?
thanks!

--
Akash