Oliver,

Here’s the criteria I have for you:

1. Do you need massive concurrency on reads and writes ?

If not you can replicate MySQL using master slave. Or consider Galera - Maria
DB master master. I’ve not used it but then again doesn’t mean that it doesn’t
work. If you have time to experiment , please do a comparison with Galera vs.
Cassandra. ;)

2. Do you plan on doing both OLTP and OLAP on the same data?

Cassandra can replicate data to different Datacenters so you can concurrently
do heavy read and write on one Logical Datacenter and simultaneously have
another Logical Datacenter for analytics.

3. Do you have a ridiculously strict SLA to maintain? And does it need to be
global?

If you don’t need to be up and running all the time and don’t need a global
platform, don’t bother using Cassandra.

Exporting a relational schema and importing into Cassandra will be a box of
hurt. In my professional (the type of experience that comes from people paying
me to make judgments, decisions ) experience with Cassandra, the biggest
mistake is people thinking that since CQL is similar to SQL that it is just
like SQL. It’s not. The keys and literally “no relationships” mean that all the
tables should be “Report tables” or “direct object tables.” That being said if
you don’t do a lot of joins and arbitrary selects on any field, Cassandra can
help achieve massive scale.

The statement that “Cassandra is going to die in a few time” is the same thing
people said about Java and .NET. They are still here decades later. Cassandra
has achieved critical mass. So much that a company made a C++ version of it and
Microsoft supports a global Database as a service version of it called Cosmos,
not to mention that DataStax supports huge global brands on a commercial build
of it. It’s not going anywhere.

--
Rahul Singh
rahul.si...@anant.us