If you require a full audit trail then you'll need to do this in your data
model.  I recommend looking to event sourcing, which is a way of tracking
all changes to an entity over its lifetime.

https://martinfowler.com/eaaDev/EventSourcing.html

Instead of thinking of data as global mutable state, think of it as a time
series where you save each change as a completely new object.  Then you can