Thomas,

This post from Ryan Svihla has a few notes in it that may or may not be
useful to you:

>If you read the original throttling Jira you can see that there is a hurry
up and wait component to unthrottled compaction (CASSANDRA-2156- Compaction
Throttling). Ultimately you will saturate your IO in bursts, backing up
other processes and making different bottlenecks spike up a long the way,
potentially causing something OTHER than compaction to get so far behind
that the server becomes unresponsive (such as GC).

via https://medium.com/@foundev/how-i-tune-cassandra-compaction-7c16fb0b1d99

--
*Joshua Galbraith *| Senior Software Engineer | New Relic
C: 907-209-1208 | jgalbra...@newrelic.com