Alex,

I had few instances in the past that were showing that unresponsivveness
behaviour. Back then I saw with iotop/htop/dstat ... the system was stuck
on a single thread processing (full throttle) for seconds. According to
iotop that was the kswapd0 process. That system was an ubuntu 16.04
actually "Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS".

>From there I started to dig what kswap process was involved in a system
with no swap and found that is used for mmapping. This erratic (allow me to
say erratic) behaviour was not showing up when I was on 3.0.6 but started
to right after upgrading to 3.0.17.

By "load" I refer to the load as reported by the `nodetool status`. On my
systems, when disk_access_mode is auto (read mmap), it is the sum of the
node load plus the jmv heap size. Of course this is just what I noted on my
systems not really sure if that should be the case on yours too.

I hope someone with more experience than me will add a comment about your
settings. Reading the configuration file, writers and compactors should be
2 at minimum. I can confirm when I tried in the past to change the
concurrent_compactors to 1 I had really bad things happenings (high system
load, high message drop rate, ...)

I have the "feeling", when running on constrained hardware the underlaying
kernel optimization is a must. I agree with Jonathan H. that you should
think about increasing the instance size, CPU and memory mathters a lot.

Best,