Hi John,

Was the cluster running ok before decommissioning the node?

Why were you decommissioning the node?

Were you upgrading from 3.11.1 to 3.11.4?

From: Ioannis Zafiropoulos [mailto:john...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 7:33 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Upgrade 3.11.1 to 3.11.4

Hi all,

During a decommission on a production cluster (9 nodes) we have some issues on
the remaining nodes regarding compaction, and I have some questions about that:

One remaining node who has stopped compacting, due to some bug
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14079>  in 3.11.1, has
received all the streaming files from the decommission node (decommissioning is
still in progress for the rest of the cluster). Could I upgrade this node to
3.11.4 and restart it?

Some other nodes which are still receiving files appear to do very little to no
auto-compaction from nodetool tpstats. Should I wait for streaming to complete
or should I upgrade these nodes as well and restart them? What would happen if
I bounce such a node? will the whole process of decommissioning fail?

Do you recommend to eventually do a rolling upgrade to 3.11.4 or choose another
version?

Thanks in advance for your help,

John Zaf