I could be wrong, but UDTs I think are written (and overwritten) as one
unit, so the notion of a TTL on a UDT field doesn't exist, the TTL is
applied to the overall structure.

Think of it like a serialized json object with multiple fields. To update a
field they deserialize the json, then reserialize the json with the new
value, and the whole json object has the new timestamp or ttl.