I'm not sure how you're measuring this - could you share your benchmarking
code?

I ask because execute calls execute_async under the hood:
https://github.com/datastax/python-driver/blob/master/cassandra/cluster.py#L2316

I tested the python driver a ways back and found some weird behavior due to
the way it's non blocking code was implemented.  IIRC there were some sleep
calls thrown in there to get around Python's threading inadequacies.  I
can't remember if this code path is avoided when you use the execute() call.

Jon