That sounds very interesting Alex, so just to be sure I understand, it was
like this
1 - you had 2.1 cluster running with the 2.1 version jar
2 - you upgraded to 3.0, starting the cluster with the 3.0 version jar that
has the same strategy name
3 - you changed the compaction strategy to use the built in one?

Another question, did changing the compaction strategy from one twcs to the
other trigger merging of old sstables?

gil