I've found there to be some behavior differences in practice as well going
from 2.2 to 3.11 with a high token count, but all differences for the
better.  3.x seems noticeably less likely to crater or GC-thrash during
repairs compared to 2.x, probably due to the sum of small changes rather
than any one in particular.