Thank you.  OK - I can see from 'nodetool getendpoints keyspace table key' that 3 nodes respond as one would expect.  My theory is that once I encounter the error, a read repair is triggered, and by the time I execute nodetool, 3 nodes respond.

I tried a test with the same table, but with LOCAL_QUORUM on reads and writes of new data, and it works.  Thank you all for that!  If I don't care which version of the data is returned, then I should be able to use ONE on reads, if LOCAL_QUORUM was used on writes - yes?

-Joe