High inter-dc latency could make writes more likely not to land, which
would make repair do more work.

Also true for read and writes - waiting for the cross-dc request will keep
threads around longer, so more concurrent work, so more GC.

May be that the GC is coming from the read/write path, and you're only
noticing it when repair tips you over the edge.