Won't option 2 in that list potentially cause some pretty severe load
imbalance in most cases?  The last node with 256 tokens will end up with
16x as much data on it as the 16 token nodes, right?

You'd have to mitigate it either by adding 16 new nodes for every one you
replace except the last one, or doing several rounds of replacing every
node with one that has somewhat fewer tokens.