Hi Jai,Cassandra 4.0 supports CQLv3, CQLv4, and CQLv5. A driver connecting using any of these protocols will
work. Cassandra 4.0 did not remove support for CQLv3 which makes adoption easier for a very large portion of
the user community.I'd recommend not specifying the protocol version in your cluster builder and allow the
client and server to negotiate the newest matching protocol version instead.I wouldn't recommend attempting
to force a 3.2 Java Driver to negotiate CQLv5, though as its support is definitely incomplete. The 3.2 Java
Driver is five years old and a very large number of bugs have been fixed since then. Newer 3.x Java Driver
releases should be binary-compatible so you can likely just bump your dependency version and immediately pick
up a large number of bugfixes.But yes, Java Driver 3.2 will work fine using CQLv4 or CQLv3 with Cassandra
4.0.– ScottOn Apr 19, 2022, at 11:45 AM, Jai Bheemsen Rao Dhanwada <jaibheem...@gmail.com> wrote:Thank
you Scott for the information.I am currently using the 3.2 version of Datastax Driver and using the Cluster
Builder with Protocol Version V3. Does this mean 3.2 with protocol version v3 can still work with
Cassandra4.0 server?Also from the documentation I see that 3.2 supports upto V5 version of protocol.Does this
mean a) 3.2 driver with V3 protocol works for cassandra 4.0 or b) I have to change the protocol version to V4
or higher on 3.2 to be able to work with 4.0?On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 11:15 AM C. Scott Andreas
<sc...@paradoxica.net> wrote:The DataStax Java 3.x drivers work very well with Apache Cassandra 4.0.
I'd recommend one of the more recent releases in the series, though (e.g., 3.6.x+).I'm not the author of this
documentation, but it may refer to the fact that the 3.x Java Driver supports the CQL v4 wire protocol, but
not the new v5 wire protocol introduced in Cassandra 4.0. This means that all existing features will continue
to work fine; but a small number of new features in 4.0 will require a new driver before they can be
adopted.A couple examples of new features in the CQLv5 wire protocol are client checksumming in the absence
of TLS or a checksumming codec, better read/write failure error messages, and native duration types.– ScottOn
Apr 19, 2022, at 10:08 AM, Jai Bheemsen Rao Dhanwada <jaibheem...@gmail.com> wrote:Hello Erick,It looks
like the 3.0+ driver is not compatible with the Cassandra 4.0 as per:
https://docs.datastax.com/en/driver-matrix/doc/java-drivers.htmlThe documents say it's partially compatible,
what does this mean? What will be broken if I continue to use 3.0+ driver with Cassandra 4.0? I did a quick
test with my application using 3.2 driver with Cassandra 4.0.3 and it works fine.On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:14
PM Jai Bheemsen Rao Dhanwada <jaibheem...@gmail.com> wrote:Thank you On Monday, April 19, 2021, Erick
Ramirez <erick.rami...@datastax.com> wrote:Is there a Datastax Java Driver  Compatibility matrix
available for Cassandra 4.0?No, there isn't but the same driver versions apply to C* 4.0 under the column
3.0+.Thanks for bringing this up as it has prompted me to consider its inclusion in the official Apache
Cassandra website and I've logged CASSANDRA-16617. Cheers!