Another thing that comes to my mind: increase minimum sstable count to compact
from 4 to 32 for the big table that won't be read that much, although you
should watch out for too many sstables count.

Sent using https://www.zoho.com/mail/

---- On Fri, 02 Sep 2022 11:29:59 +0430 onmstester onmstester via user
<user@cassandra.apache.org> wrote ---

I was there too! and found nothing to work around it except stopping
big/unnecessary compactions manually (using nodetool stop) whenever they
appears by some shell scrips (using crontab)

Sent using https://www.zoho.com/mail/

---- On Fri, 02 Sep 2022 10:59:22 +0430 Gil Ganz <mailto:gilg...@gmail.com>
wrote ---

HeyWhen deciding which sstables to compact together, how is the priority
determined between tasks, and can I do something about it?

In some cases (mostly after removing a node), it takes a while for compactions
to keep up with the new data the came from removed nodes, and I see it is busy
on huge compaction tasks, but in the meantime a lot of small sstables are
piling up (new data that is coming from the application, so read performance is
not good, new data is scattered in many sstables, and probably combining big
sstables won't help reduce fragmentation as much (I think).

Another thing that comes to mind, is perhapsĀ I have a table that is very big,
but not being read that much, would be nice to have other tables have higher
compaction priority (to help in a case like I described above).

Version is 4.0.4

Gil