Thanks for reaching out.

Changing the compressor for a table is both safe and common. Future flushes /
compactions will use the new codec as SSTables are written, and SSTables
currently present on disk will remain readable with the previous codec.

You may also want to take a look at the Zstandard codec once you’ve upgraded to
Cassandra 4.0+, which offers a great balance between compression ratio and
throughout.