The org.apache.crimson parser *is* the default parser for java 1.4. It
was only in 1.5 that they moved to Xerces.

The question is whether this is
(a) something in the input that crimson just doesn't handle, or
(b) something in the way that Configuration is setting up the xml parser
that crimson doesn't like

The best test would be to try to process "test.plist.xml" directly with
crimson, eg just read it and count the number of elements. If that
doesn't work, then there isn't much that Configuration can do about it.

Regards,
Simon