Thanks for all the responses.

Upon further checking, my browser(Safari 2.0.4) automatically unzips files
after downloading them, so the md5 I was getting:

MD5 (/Users/me/Desktop/commons-fileupload-1.2.1-bin.tar) =
1dd142e03ac3703f727bc3b9367d9a74

did not match Apache's md5:

d8cccd7b9938c17169751ed978265673 *commons-fileupload-1.2.1-bin.tar.gz

But the md5 of the downloaded file was for the .tar file not the .tar.gz file.

There doesn't seem to be a setting in Safari that allows you to stop Safari
from automatically unzipping the files it downloads.  The way I got around the
automatic uzipping problem was by right clicking on the download link while
holding down the Option key.   That presents a menu with a choice of:  "Save
Linked File As", which allows you to choose a directory to download the file
to.  Safari doesn't unzip the file when you save it to a directory.

Thanks for the help.