On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Abigail Gertner <gert...@mitre.org> wrote:

> On 8/11/2010 12:29 AM, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>> <snip/>
>> The way to obtain the live values of the datamodel is to use the
>> expression evaluator, see interfaces mentioned here:
>>
>>   http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/contexts-evaluators.html
>>

> Is it possible to call a method using the expression evaluator with an
> argument that is a node in the XML tree, rather than just a string value?

<snip/>

Executable content is open ended in SCXML, as largely speaking most
things are possible with custom actions. I'm afraid I've lost the
bigger picture of your scenario in the pin-pointed question above.

To obtain a node using the expression evaluator, use
Evaluator#evalLocation(...) which returns a Node.

>> Might be worthwhile revisiting the need for using
>> SCXMLParser#newInstance() rather than the static parse methods.
>>

> The reason I am doing this is that I am using xinclude to include a
> separate xml file and I found that I needed to call setXIncludeAware()
> on the parser to make it do the include. Is there some way to do this
> using the static parse methods?

<snap/>

Not in the latest release (v0.9) so thats one of the cases where you
may indeed not be able to use the static parse methods. Based on what
I've read so far, it seems your best bet may be to register the
digester rules for your custom actions by hand after you obtain the
new instance and let the custom action do the appropriate expression
evaluation and datamodel / context processing.

-Rahul