2010/8/21 Thiébault Benoît <d...@artenum.com>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm starting using SCXML and there is something that I am not sure to
> understand very well. In the previous applications I developed, I used an
> event-driven architecture : my user interface (for instance) was triggering
> Events that an EventDispatcher converted into (a) Action call(s). The mapping
> Event/Action(s) was declared in a separate XML file. When I discovered SCXML
> I thought I could improve this architecture by declaring the Event/Action(s)
> mapping in the SCXML file. There are however some points that are not very
> clear yet for me.
>
> In the State design pattern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_pattern), a
> state is represented by a class while the actions are mapped with the methods
> (roughly). I though I could thus map my events with a method of a given
> object.
>
> But when I look at the StopWatch use case, and especially the StopWatch class
> (http://commons.apache.org/scxml/xref-test/org/apache/commons/scxml/env/StopWatch.html),
>  the whole state machine is represented by the class and each state is mapped
> by the methods... In this use case, I don't see how actions are handled.
>
> I mean if I have two events triggered targeting the same state, how can I
> handle both events differently ? There could be two ways to go from a state A
> to a state B, for instance in an application where you want to edit a text
> file, from the "ready" state (when the application is ready to start) you
> could go to the "edit" state by opening an existing file or by creating a new
> one. The targeted state is then the same, even though the way to reach it is
> different. I don't know how to model this in SCXML.
>
> Can someone help ?

<snip/>

The AbstractStateMachine class is one simple pattern among many that
may be employed to use Commons SCXML [1], and is certainly very basic.
It does not implement the State pattern as described in the document
you point to. The State pattern itself has limitations (requiring a
flattened state machine), so even implementing that isn't a silver
bullet. As someone who wants to use the State pattern, please take a
look at the AbstractStateMachine class implementation and perform the
changes necessary to rather implement the State pattern instead.

The higher order bit is that SCXML as a language is more powerful that
any of these individual patterns.

-Rahul

[1] http://commons.apache.org/scxml/guide/using-commons-scxml.html