On 03/24/2012 04:22 AM, sebb wrote:
[...]
Surely there must be an example for parsing the article body, not just the
header.  Or, at least, using BufferedReader to get the article body and
assign it to a String.  If so, I don't see a better method available through
the API.

Have a look at the examples in:

http://commons.apache.org/net/examples/nntp/

I have looked at the examples there, and read the protocol (as best I could) as well as experimented with telnet. I even installed leafnode to troubleshoot this.

Pardon, which example shows how to get the body? The subject, yes, but the body is not in the Article class. The NNTPCommand class looks quite promising, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. The body is, so far as I can tell, best available through NNTPClient.retrieveArticleBody(), but this doesn't work with leafnode any better than against the gmane server.

Here is the code and output I have:

https://gist.github.com/2170467

It's quite straightforward to get message bodies through telnet, and, surely, if it works through telnet it should work through NNTPClient. Unfortunately, I don't know which methods correspond to the telnet commands in the gist link above.

thank you,

Thufir