Hi,

I have a (newbie) question about how to go about solving the problem below with
commons-math.

1) I have histogram data (equal x intervals) based off some distribution.
2) I need a way to calculate the second differential between two given x points
in the distribution.

Here is what I think I should do:
1) Feed the (x,y) values represented by the top of each histogram entry within
my x-range into a UnivariateRealInterpolator between ranges (x1,y1) and (x2,y2).
2) The interpolate method gives me back a PolynomialSplineFunction (call if
psf).
3) I get the second differential UnivariateRealFunction (call it urf) by
calling psf.getPolynomialSplineDerivative().derivative()
4) I compute the second derivative value as the difference of urf.value(x2) -
urf.value(x1)

Does this sound like a reasonable/accurate approach? Any suggestions/gotchas or
pointers to better approaches?

Thanks very much,

Sujit