Michael,
Indeed I am looking for a parser that can give me an array that math
commons can accept. So iterating over the coefficients taking the
order in account is necessary.
For example:

3x + 7 - 8    ---> an array [3 -1]
2x - x^2 + 9 - 4  ---> [1 2 5]

I was looking into Bills work, and trying to see how to get it to do
this. I have worked long time ago with javacc, but not that strong
with JJTree and AST processing, so reading and refreshing my memory
now.

Thank you.