Thank you Mr. Ritter:

Two issues:
1.) I am attempting to obtain univariate statistics from thousands of ambulance
would be a mean of 587 seconds. Not by row, but rather as summary statistics.
2.) It appears that Apache Commons Math is needing a Double value. So I change
it as shown below.
Note on 2) Even though I am needing summary statistics I move the lines of code
into the loop just to see what would happen.I just want to get it to work
because it appears the problem is the type of variable (int, double, array).

while (rset.next())
                        {
                                double values =
rset.getDouble("M_SecondsAtStatus");
                                System.out.println(values);
                                System.out.println("min: " +
StatUtils.min(values));
                                System.out.println("max: " +
StatUtils.max(values));
                                System.out.println("mean: " +
StatUtils.mean(values));
                                System.out.println("product: " +
StatUtils.product(values));
                                System.out.println("sum: " +
StatUtils.sum(values));
                                System.out.println("variance: " +
StatUtils.variance(values));
                        }

A red underline in Eclipse shows up and my mouse hovers over it. The error
message is the following:

"The method min(double[]) in the type StatUtils is not applicable for the
arguments (double)"

I then change the values variable to double[] as shown below:

"double[] values = rset.getDouble("M_SecondsAtStatus");"

java doesn't like this either. It gives a red underlined error message:
"Type mismatch: cannot convert from double to double[]"

I guess this boils down to two questions:
1.) How do I output a double[] array from database output?
2.) How do I output this double[] into a variable that Apache Commons Math will
accept?
ok, maybe three questions:
3.) Other people are using Apache Commons Math to understand their database
data better. How are they doing it? A lot of guys have massive mainframe
databases filled with health care data etc. They are doing sophisticated math
with their data. How are they doing it?