On 8 February 2015 at 20:38, Michael Osipov <1983-01...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 2015-02-08 um 14:34 schrieb sebb:
>>
>> Why don't you just implement equals() and hashCode() as noted here [1] ?
>>
>> This will allow the use of Pool2 and guarantee that different
>> instances are treated as different, regardless of mutabiity.
>>
>> No need to generate unique ids for each instance.
>>
>> Pool2 needs an equals() method that returns true for objects that
>> really are equal.
>>
>> Also equals() and hashCode() must be stable for a given object, and
>> objects which are the same under equals() must have the same
>> hashCode().
>>
>> These are standard requirements for using a HashMap (which is what
>> Pool2 uses currently).
>>
>> [1]
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-283?focusedCommentId=14307637&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14307637
>

> The offered solution adds another superfluous wrapper which can be avoided.

I did not mean to imply that you needed to use a wrapper.
Since you have control over the class, you can just write the
equals()/hashCode() methods as per the wrapper.
Or omit them entirely if the class inherits its equals()/hashCode()
methods from Object.

> the artificial id helps here.

I don't see how. It's not needed by Pool2 if you use the Object EQ/HC
methods either by inheritance or by definition in the class.