Any chance we will see a 1.11?

At least 1.10 release notes should be updated to note this, no? Right now it
claims to be 100 backwards compatible.

On Jan 10, 2016 11:34 AM, Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
Hi,

Am 07.01.2016 um 20:33 schrieb Norbert Kiesel:
> Hi,
>

> we just tried to upgrade from commons-configuration-1.9 to
> commons-configuration-1.10 and hit a blocking problem.  It manifests itself
> as:
>
> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
>         at java.util.AbstractMap.put(AbstractMap.java:209)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.configuration.MapConfiguration.addPropertyDirect(MapConfiguration.java:186)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.addPropertyValues(AbstractConfiguration.java:423)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.addProperty(AbstractConfiguration.java:393)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.setProperty(AbstractConfiguration.java:486)
>

> Looks like this happens because the map was created using the
> `MapConfiguration(Properties props)` constructor.  In 1.9, this creates a
> HashMap and fills it with the properties.  In 1.10, this now uses an
> AbstractMap that only overrides `entrySet` which makes this a read-only map.
>

> Our code then tries to add more properties, which produces the above
> exception.
>

> Are we doing something wrong here or is this really a regression in 1.10?

This seems to be a regression in 1.10, unfortunately. According to SVN
history, the code in MapConfiguration has been patched to fix
CONFIGURATION-556 [1]. The fact that the MapConfiguration can no longer
be updated is probably an undesired side effect.

I assume that this will work again with version 2.0. In this version,
MapConfiguration just stores the Properties object passed to the
constructor. So updates are not a problem.

Oliver

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONFIGURATION-556