You are correct.
With Commons Cli you will have to write a custom HelpFormatter to provide
end users with more detail about the positional parameters.

You may be interested in https://picocli.info/ which provides this
functionality out of the box, along with colored help, autocomplete and
support for easily turning your CLIs into native binaries.
(Disclaimer: I wrote it.) Enjoy!