Hello all,

I am a developer/maintainer of several java projects. Part of this is to keep
aware of potential vulnerabilities in project imports. I am using the OWASP
dependency checker plugin with gradle to identify potentially vulnerable
projects. One project is getting flagged for its use of commons-math3 (directly
imported by the project), commons-codec, and commons-logging (imported by other
dependencies), which the checker claims have a vulnerability inherited from
commons-net.

The problem is that I cannot find a reference to commons-net as a dependency
anywhere in any of these projects (either the gradle dependency list or the
project pages themselves), which makes me wonder why this error is occurring. I
am attempting to fix this issue by both excluding commons-net from the
dependencies.

I am sending this email in hopes of verifying that this would be a useful
action. It is possible that the vulnerability checker is reporting a
false-positive (this is not the first time it has done so), in which case I
just need to add an exclusion and don’t actually have to set any manual
exclusions in the imports and don’t need to do any gradle manipulations to fix
it; if I don’t have to, I’d rather not, as it clutters up the dependency list
rather significantly.

Aaron Kearns
KBR  |  Software Engineer, Government Solutions
Office: +1 505.853.2582  |  Mobile: +1 304.997.0148
aaron.kea...@kbr.com<mailto:aaron.kea...@us.kbr.com>
akea...@contractor.usgs.gov<mailto:akea...@contractor.usgs.gov>

This email, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.