Well I am obviously way behind the times, I now realize that the IMAP package already has a class

AuthenticatingIMAPClient

and within it, the ability to state the auth method as

XOAUTH2

And I see an auth/authenticate method for this class.  Hmm, it takes just the method, a username and a password.

So, I have a question.  Is it the case that my app goes the work of gaining an OAuth2 'access token' prior to using the IMAP objects, and merges that token it into the username string (or even the password??) ?  I can't see where else in the AuthenticatingIMAPClient api that I can supply such an access token string?  If I am correct, I imagine there is a very specific syntax for the merge of user name and access token. I have seen reference to the use of Ctrl-A (0x01) in some online docs. I have also seen mention made of base64 encoding ??

I have been using this ref to come up to speed on OAuth2:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6749

Am I a bit lost in all of this, so any help appreciated.

Stuart